“the breakfast that tastes like summer”
Other than the ultimate breakfast duo, bacon and eggs, this is another famous classic – grilled fresh mozzarella with roasted tomatoes and basil sandwich. There’s no way you haven’t tried, at least some combination of grilled cheese, tomatoes, and basil. In most recipes, the tomatoes and basil are fresh, while the cheese is grilled or fried, however, to get that ultimate smokey flavor and make the sandwich look even more appetizing, we’ll be slightly roasting the tomatoes. You didn’t think a mozzarella cheese sandwich with tomatoes and basil can get any tastier? Wait until you’ve tried this recipe.
In every grilled recipe, choosing the type of cheese you’re going to use it the first important step. You need a cheese that produces a sharp, intense flavor, that also melts easily, hence mozzarella cheese comes up as a winner. To enhance and add flavor, use dried oregano and garlic powder. If you like your sandwich hot and spicy, sprinkle a few chili flakes over the cheese and enjoy it! At the end of the day, seasoning is totally up to your preference, so use my seasoning combination merely as a recommendation.
Let’s get cooking.
All you’ll need for this recipe is a grill pan or an actual grill (even better).
The first step is to heat the grill to medium or place a grill pan over medium heat.
While the grill heats, prepare the ingredients. Cut the french bread into slices – thick or thin, depending on how you like them. Also, slice the tomatoes and mozzarella cheese (if bought as a whole piece).
Once the grill is heated, spray it with cooking oil and sprinkle each bread slice with olive oil, salt, and pepper on each side. Place the bread slices on the grill and cook for two minutes (each side). Once you notice that the bread slices are browned and grill marks appear, remove from heat and set them aside.
Next are the tomato slices. Sprinkle a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper on each slice and grill for four minutes (2 minutes each side). Remove tomatoes from the grill and set them aside.
Finally, spray each mozzarella slice with olive oil, salt, pepper, and chili (if you like them spicy). Grill the mozzarella slices only for a few seconds, until they start to soften, then remove from heat and place two slices of mozzarella and tomatoes on one slice of bread.
Lower the heat then return the bread slices with mozzarella ad tomatoes on the grill. Cook until the mozzarella melts over the bread. How much time you’re going to grill, depends on how soft and gooey you like the cheese. For people that like their cheese feeling a little bit solid, grill for a minute, while for people that really like their cheese melty and sticky, grill for at least two to three minutes.
After this, serve each slice of bread with two basil leaves on top. Also, spatter a few drops of olive oil and sprinkle dried oregano and garlic powder. I know I don’t have to say this, but don’t leave the cheese to get cold – eat it while it’s still hot. Enjoy!
|10 minutes||10 minutes||20 minutes||6|
- 1 crusty French bread
- 2 cups sliced tomatoes
- 12 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese (~10 oz)
- 12 small basil leaves
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the grill to medium or place a grill pan over medium heat.
- Spray it with cooking oil.
- Slice the French bread and spatter olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder on each slice. Cook for a minute or two on each side, until it gets a little browned and grill marks appear.
- Set the bread aside and place the tomato slices on the grill. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Grill for two minutes on each side then set aside.
- Finally, add the mozzarella slices on the grill. Spray them with olive oil, salt, and pepper (chili optional) on each side. Cook for a few seconds, just until the mozzarella softens.
- Lower the heat, then return the bread slices on the grill. Place two slices of mozzarella cheese on each slice of bread and cover with two tomato slices. Once the mozzarella melts over the bread, remove from heat.
- Garnish each bread slice with two basil leaves and sprinkle dried oregano.